Monday, December 06, 2004

self defence

I'm somewhat confused. My confusion is in regard to whether or not a Christian should ever be involved in violence.
When Jesus was physically attacked he never defended himself. People like Martin Luther King would argue that passive resistance is in the end the other way of truly gaining a victory.
But what about when we might be attacked on the street? It is just a random act of violence and we are not defending a principle in the way that Jesus was or in the way that Martin Luther King was.
I must acknowledge that my tendency is to physically defend myself, is this wrong?
Jesus says to love your enemies, does this involve letting them transgress or is there a line in the sand we must defend?
The more I think about this the more I am confused. But being confused is not always a bad thing since it means there is an openess to new insight.
"Lord God, I ask you to give me insight into your truth so that my life might be increasingly reflective of who you are as revealed in Jesus."

2 comments:

Idhrendur said...

Also note that Jesus didn't always just stand there and take it. The gospels mention a couple of times when a mob was out to kill him, and he just left (obviously with the protection of the Holy Spirit).

Interestingly, the two witnesses mentioned in Revelation defended themselves, quite strongly.

Not that I actually have an answer, but I'm just throwing in some thoughts. Make sure to post what you figure out, so we can learn from you.

Steve said...

I don't know if this will help, but it seems to indicate that Jesus is warning them to defend themselves here.

Luke 22:36-38

36He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. 37It is written: ‘And he was numbered with the transgressors’[b]; and I tell you that this must be fulfilled in me. Yes, what is written about me is reaching its fulfillment.”

38The disciples said, “See, Lord, here are two swords.”

“That is enough,” he replied.