Tuesday, February 07, 2006

in my view (for 12 Feb 2006)

In my view one of the hardest things I've had to learn to do is receive a compliment. In the past I would be embarrassed and tend to downplay what the person was saying, but then I heard a wise person make the following comment. "When you put down a compliment you are putting down the person who made the compliment."
I had to learn to accept compliments, not for my sake, but so that I respected and honoured the person who had made it.
These days I always try and appreciate the compliment and then I do something else as well. I take the compliment and consider what the person was saying. If what they were saying was genuine then I thank God for having used me. If I think the compliment was just flattery then I ask God to help me not get a big head.
So next time someone gives you a compliment be appreciative about it. I know it can be hard to receive a compliment, but receiving a compliment is as important as giving genuine compliments to others for the bible says "And let us consider how to spur one another on toward love and good deeds." (Hebrews 10:24)

No comments: