Sunday, September 17, 2006

happiness

Every once in a while I write a list of things I'd like to have that I think would make me happy. What most amazes me the most about this exercise is upon reflection I realise there really is a limit to the happiness level one can experience in this world.
I'm reminded of the astounding book "Inside Out" where Larry Crabb makes the observation that humans can never find ultimate happiness in this life precisely because we are not made for a flawed world. The fact is God made us for a perfect world, and therefore though we can have moments of real bliss and joy, that we cannot continue at the level all the time.
This thought has been really helpful to me. It's made me realise that in the times I experience real despair and sadness, that there might actually be no concrete thing I can point my finger at as to why I'm feeling that way. And so I'm come to recognise that pain and sadness and part of the human condition, not something I like, but something I cannot avoid if I am to be honest about life.
The real point is this. When I realise that pain and sadness are not always the result of something lacking, then I stop trying to gain the toys I think will make me happy, and I concentrate more on deepening my relationship with Jesus who after all is the only true source of absolute and unconditional love.

No comments: