Tuesday, April 22, 2008

important questions

If you had to list the most important questions you ask yourself as a way of making decisions, what would they be?
Here are my top two: Who is God, really? Who am I, really?
I believe that what we do is a consequence of the answers to these two questions. And so if we want to change a behaviour we need to consider our beliefs before changing our actions.
Romans 12:2 say 'Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.'
The transformation of our mind happens as we change what we 'really' believe. If I 'really' believe God exists that will impact my behaviour. If I 'really' believe God loves me or that he is Holy then this will impact my behaviour.
If I 'really' believe I am created by God, that I am a part of his family, that I'm loved by him, that I was made with a purpose, then this will impact on my behaviour.
We make a mistake when we focus on our behaviour, we need to focus on what we 'really' believe. Our behaviour is simply a good indicator of our 'real' beliefs.

No comments: