Thursday, January 20, 2005

religion

"Religion is a matter not of learning how to think about God but of actually encountering Him." (p.17, The Relentless Tenderness of Jesus)
One of my common prayers is "Lord teach me to pray." It's funny that the more I pray the more I feel like I'm just a child when it comes to knowing God. I guess its like getting into a pool as a child and the water seems so deep. But as you grow up the pool it isn't so deep, so you swim in the ocean near the shore and that feels deep. Then later on you get the courage to swim further from the shore and discover that the ocean is so much deeper than you thought.
I feel like that with Jesus. I feel like I've come to grips with knowing him, and then he reveals to me there is so much more, so much depth that I couldn't see before.
This discovering the increasing depth is part of the real joy it is in spending time with Jesus.
"Lord God, teach me to pray."

No comments: