Tuesday, August 02, 2005

joy in the process

Am I getting old or wise, neither or both?
What's brought this self reflection on? Well its this. I was coming into work this morning and had the blinding realisation that joy is in the process not in the end.
Often I'm really looking forward to doing something, when it arrives I enjoy it, but then very quickly its over and I feel a bit let down. For some reason I was expecting the joy of achievement to last longer.
On reflection its often in the planning and moving toward the goal whereby the most joy is found, that is in the process and not in the end.
As a Pastor I have to remember to enjoy the process of working with people, not just being focused on the end towards which we are working.
Hope this makes sense as I think its an important insight for me.

No comments: