Tuesday, March 14, 2006

spiritual health report

The Apostle Paul was right when he discussed in Romans 7 the struggle we all have with sin. He said in Romans 7:19-20 "For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do - this I keep on doing."
Who of us has not found ourselves doing what we know to be wrong and hating ourselves for it.
Prompted by my discovery that I believed some modern myths about health (see previous blog on Health Report) I decided to re-read the bible and see what it said about dealing with sin, and not just to rely upon commonly held ideas and theories. I'll let you know what I discover, but for know I'd like to suggest something that has been very helpful for me. I have found it more important to concentrate on my intimacy with Jesus than on trying not to sin. When I focus on not sinning I find temptation becomes more powerful, but when I concentrate on Jesus and my relationship with him, then I discover that temptation loses much of its power.
Let me know your thoughts and learning on this important subject for the life of the follower of Jesus.

No comments: