Thursday, March 02, 2006

weight loss

So everyone has there own theories about weight loss. For what they are worth here are some of the things that have worked for me. (I've gone from 90 to 84kg in the last three months or so and feel fitter than I have for 20 years.)
1) Have a minimum / maximum goal instead of just one goal. So instead of aiming for 75kg, I am going for 75kg - 80kg as my goal. The minimum goal is the best I think I can do, the maximum is what I would be really happy with.
2) Drink more water. Don't go crazy, just add more water on a daily basis. I have 600ml bottles of cold water in the fridge and everyday just grab one and drink it down.
3) Keep a running tally of your lowest weight. Weighing scales are inaccurate, even if you weigh the same the scales will vary because of how they work. So I simply weigh myself every morning at the same time and just keep a tally of the weight when it is lower than the last time. If it's higher I just ignore it! So on my board I have a tally that looks something like this: 90, 89.8, 89.2, 88.0 ... 74.3.
This system takes account of the changes in weight that happen because of life and scale design, and just gives you a weight that motivates.
4) Take the simple exercise option. These days I walk the stairs instead of using the lift. I walk the dog more. I say yes to offers to play tennis, squash. I jump in the water and have a swim. I don't stress out about an exercise regime, I just do something more in every day and don't berate myself if I have a day off.
5) Get more sleep. The recommendation from the experts is 8 1/2 to 9 1/2 hours sleep a night. If you do this you WILL feel much better and consequently have more energy to be more active and more motivated.
6) Don't rush. Do the above and just relax and let it happen in its own time. As long as you occassionally get a lower weight on your running tally it will keep you motivated. I don't have a target date, I just everyday do a little extra, take a few more steps, eat a bit less junk food, and every few days or weeks I notice a lower weight.

No comments: