Tuesday, October 25, 2005

does it work?

A while ago I decided to try and get my head around the world of philosophy. I've been reading books and listening to CD's and my current conclusion is that there is really only one final criteria for establishing truth, here is my go.
  • Can what you believe be lived?
That might not sound profound but consider these scenarios.
  • The person who says that everything is a dream still looks both ways before crossing the road.
  • The person who says the are no absolutes is absolutely sure that this is true.
  • The person who says we are merely products of time + chance still tells his wife he loves her and means something more than just a biological upheaval is happening.
  • The person who says there is no right or wrong still gets upset when I steal her wallet.

In the end I've come to this conclusion. The worldview of the bible is the worldview that makes most sense of the world in which I live, and I find I can live consistently with it. The biblical worldview acknowledges there is evil in the world, it speaks of the reality of truth and emotion, it speaks of the value of hope, and it gives a solution to the problem of sin.

If someone were to show me a worldview that makes more sense of real life then I would seriously consider it, for now I'm more committed to being a follower of Jesus Christ than ever.

No comments: