Friday, December 02, 2005

is bias wrong

I think it's true to say that everyone has a bias, I have a bias and so do you. Is bias wrong? Well, I think it's a reality so the problem comes not in that we have a bias, it comes when we don't recognise our bias.
Another way of saying bias is to use the term agenda, as in what is my agenda?
My personal agenda is to try to convey as accurately as possible the teachings of the bible.
However, at this point something else comes into play. My agenda might be to convey the bible but my agenda is influenced by my experiences, and because my experiences are necessarily limited, then my agenda will be somewhat narrow.
So even if my agenda is good and noble, my experiences might influence my agenda such that it is not accurate.
Do we give up then? No, but we must constantly seek to be open about our bias/agenda and hold our personal views firmly but not without a willingness to modify them, that is we must always be open to learn from the views of others, recognising of course that they too have a bias/agenda that is somewhat narrow because of their experiences.

No comments: