Friday, October 02, 2009

Joy Exercise 5: Know thyself

My goal is to come up with 365 simple practical exercises anybody can do to increase the level of joy in their life.

Self understanding can be a great way of increasing the joy in your life by discovering who you were made to be. The reality is that there are some things we can change about ourselves, and there are some things we need to accept and work with.

I've found the following useful to discovering more about who I am and how I operate, and am learning to design my life in such a way as to maximise the time I'm able to be who I've been made to be versus having to operate in ways that are contrary to my 'natural' way of working.
  • Myers-Brigg: Some people love this, not really my thing, but if you get the opportunity to do a Myers-Briggs assessment it should give you some self-understanding and help you understand why other people operate the way they do.
  • Strenths Finder (strengthsfinder.com): I reckon this is one of the best self understanding concepts out there, well worth buying the book and doing the assessement.
  • Kolbe A (kolbe.com): This is my absolute favourite, I reckon its simple but very powerful, has really changed the way I understand myself and how I do things.
  • DISC: Not really my thing but some people find it helpful

No comments: