Wednesday, August 25, 2004

serial learner

I confess that I'm a serial learner. I love to read and learn and think about new things. Now that's in many ways a good trait, except when I keep on learning rather than applying.
I suspect that people who grow in wisdom are people committed to application as much as learning.
Here's an exercise that might drive this home.
Write a list of things that you know would be good to do but you're not doing.
Here's a few of mine: (1) Get up at 6am to spend time with God. (Started applying this yesterday and already experiencing the benefits.) (2) Do at least 3 lots of exercise each week. (3) Make the kids lunches more often. (This is something that my wife really appreciates.) (4) ... that's enough for now!
The idea is not to get legalistic about all this. The point is that most of us know more than we apply and every once in a while we need to stop and ask this type of question.

No comments: