Thursday, October 07, 2004

emotion v reason

"The essential difference between emotion and reason is that emotion leads to action while reason leads to conclusions." (Lovemarks, p42)
I think we mostly make decisions by emotion and then justify them by reason. I think that's why I struggle to support Aussie teams - my heart is still a Kiwi. My citizenship says Australian and my reason tells me I ought to support the Aussie teams, but my heart is still Kiwi through and through.
But for some immigrants coming to Aussie was an emotional experience. It was the chance for a new beginning, a leaving of trouble and a coming into a safe prosperous place. I think that emotional experience makes it more natural to become a passionate Aussie and get emotionally involved in supporting the Aussies as they compete.
Perhaps one day the green and gold will tug at my heart strings. But for now give me Black'n'White anyday.

No comments: