Monday, October 18, 2004

goal setting

Do you set goals? Apparently only about 4% of people do and that correlates pretty strongly with success and interestingly happiness. I guess that makes sense because unless you have a goal you don't know if you've achieved your goal.
A method I use is to set a minimum and maximum goal for each thing instead of just one goal.
Example of a single goal might be to exercise for 20 minutes 3 times a week.. A minimum & maximum goal might be to exercise between 2 and 4 times per week.
The advantage of a range is that it allows me to set what is the bare minimum I'd be happy with, but also gives me a target I can stretch for.
The problem with a single goal is that if I set it too low I don't have the sense of achievement when I reach it. But if I set it too high it can feel impossible and demoralises me.
Other secrets in goal setting are ...
1) Set activity and not just result goals. You have control over your activity but not so much over the result.
2) Make goals in partnership with other people. Partnerships are much more likely to succeed than solo acts.
3) Set a maximum of 3-7 goals. Beyond 7 is just too many to focus on. Better to have a few goals that are achieved than many goals that are ignored.
4) Review your goals often. I normally make them a part of my daily time with God so that they are constantly before me.

No comments: