Monday, June 27, 2005

getting in the way

Tom Peters in the foreward of his book Re-Imagine says "People ... in enterprise, in government ... are by and large well intentioned. They'd like to get things done. To be of service to others. But they're thwarted ... at every step of the way ... by absurd organisational barriers ... and by the egos of petty tyrants (be they corporate middle managers, or army colonels, or school superintendents."
Wow! What a rant and a rave. It would be laughably emotive if it weren't so true.
As a leader I have to continually ask myself this question. "How am I getting in the way of my people getting the task done?"
Leadership is not just about getting new things started, it's also about getting rid of every barrier, small or large, that gets in the way of our people doing a fantastic job.
So today in a review meeting with one of my staff, one of my questions will be, "What do I need to do or stop doing to ensure you can do your job fantastically?"

No comments: