Thursday, September 16, 2010

Habits

Habits can helpful in that they enable us to get things done without having to make decisions all the time. I have a habit of running which means I don't have to decide how I am going to exercise. I have a schedule written down and I just follow it, no major thinking or decision needed.
Habits can also be like ruts that keep us tied in. We have always done this thing this way and we don't even consider doing things differently.
Christians have a habit of meeting for church services weekly. This could be a good habit in that it helps us connect and grow. This could also be an excuse for not thinking about whether this is the best way of achieving God's purposes.
Think about some of your regular habits and ask the question: Is this habit achieving the purpose for which I started the habit? If yes, just continue or refine. If no, then spend some time thinking about your higher purpose and what changes might be required to form a new better and more productive habit.

1 comment:

Claudia said...

I've been working my way through Celebration of Discipline by Richard Foster, and coming to some very similar conclusions.