Thursday, September 23, 2004

the challenge

One of the most challenging statements I've ever heard is found in the words "And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even ‘sinners’ do that." (Luke 6:33)
Oh how easy it is to be kind and generous and patient and kind to those whom I like and love. But to be kind to the person who continues to treat me rudely. To give to the person who receives without appreciation. To listen with compassion to the person who never listens to me. These things are hard, but it is precisely these things that show that God is truly alive in me.
I have found that when I do act in this way, not as often as I would like, that it is because I have been aware of the fact that "God loved me while I was still an enemy of God", that is God's love for me begins with his grace, and so my love for others must do the same.
This living of faith is so much harder than being orthodox, but it is the journey Jesus calls us to walk when he said "take up your cross and follow me".
Often I yearn for an easier path, but I'm glad God continually provokes me to walk the narrow path that leads to him.
Prayer: "God it is really hard to love people who do not love me. Grant me your strength to show love despite my feelings, to be your hands and your feet to those who need it most, those unable to reciprocate and therefore of most need of your touch of grace."

No comments: