Wednesday, September 29, 2004

lovemarks quote 1

The book is mine (see next blog) and already I'm fired up, I'm inspired, and I'm ready to explode.
I agree wholeheartedly, and even more than that with Kurt Vonnegut when he says ... "I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center." (p19)
Kevin Roberts says ... "I believe 'edge cultures' will have even higher value in this millenium. Great ideas can come from anywhere, but most of them turn up on the edge. The places that are restless and resourceful. The place that don't understand 'can't be done.'" (p.18)
I wrote this only yesterday when emailing a friend ... "Somehow I think it is both/and not either/or. I think the traditional forms of church done well and can provide the resources and support to spin off innovative groups that will push the boundaries. The new groups need to be given free reign along with resources if that is to happen. A lot of it comes down to whether people/churches are willing to resource things that might not work and to keep their hands off it as it experiments."
This is reinforced by one more quote ... "When species change, it almost always occurs first at the fringes. Here the population is most sparse and the orthodoxies of the centre are weakest. Here you can flourish isolated from formula and rules, free from the corrosive belief that everything great has already been done." (p.19)

No comments: